Friday, October 31, 2014

I continue to mortify my children....


Yes, I admit it. I was one of those mothers.  The kind of mother that mortified their children. I chose to hand out pretzels instead of sugar on Halloween. I thought I was doing the right thing.  Or I would give out stickers or pennies and my poor children were mortified.

After all, why do we assume that an addictive, mood altering, mind altering drug is good for our children in massive quantities?   I think as the movie Fed up displayed,  we don't need terrorists to weaken America, just the SAD standard American diet.

So what am I doing for Halloween? My children are all grown and we're skipping town.  Instead, I think we will dance in the graveyards tonight! We are going out of town to the memorial service for my Son in Law’s Father who was tragically killed in a car accident.  The family will celebrate his life and his humor.  I think he might have liked to dance to this newly released song that brought tears to my eyes:




We also happen to be on a 21 Day cleanse, so how do we take this on the road with us?  First, as you may know, I am cheap and I don’t plan very well.  Despite the fact that I posted on the Carpe Diem Wellness App yesterday the need for 3 P’s Prioritize, Plan & Prepare, it is hard for me to follow my own advice.  So I am cleaning out my refrigerator.  The great thing about juicing and smoothies is that you can usually find something in your garden or frig that needs to be used NOW.  So we have juice and smoothie ingredients.  I’m only taking my blender with me, not the juicer.

Second, I received an email this morning from George Mateljan Worlds Healthiest Cookbook on Lentil salad over greens, perfect easy thing to make and I happened to have the ingredients.  Third, I had several events this week that I brought food to, so we have leftover veggies and nacho cheese dip for the road and "better than tuna" with collard leaves. Last but not least, I had some pomegranate and cranberries so am making my favorite chia pudding.  I’m taking a carton of nut milk, some bowls, nori sheets with salmon and sprouts, cucumber and avocado and I have breakfast and lunch for the next three days.  All the recipes are in the 21 Day Kickstart to Wellness and have become second nature to me now to throw together.

So what are we going to do to replace those super sweet Halloween goodies? Hmmm, what else is super sweet and yummy? A weekend getaway with a good looking man?  I’ll have to think of something….as well as ways to continue to mortify my children...

Have a fabulous Holiday weekend.

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment