Sunday, March 4, 2018

Oscar Night Musings & Power of Play

I've been invited to a Red Carpet Oscar Night Party and pulled out an old green sequined evening gown to wear tonight. I've only seen one movie this year that's up for award, Victoria and Abdul. Turns out it was for makeup and hairstyling not even for best picture. No wonder I've been accused, "Oh Mom, you are soooo pop culture illiterate!"

 Nevertheless, in preparation for the party, I asked my husband to rent an Oscar nominated movie Friday night to watch. As usual, I found interesting musings.

First, I'm reminded of the power of personal connection, passion and play. The widowed Queen Victoria was "imprisoned" by pomp and circumstance. An Indian servant looks her in the eye (which was forbidden), then kisses her feet, which sparks a connection. His passion for everything from rugs to poetry and religion is contagious. Soon he is quoting Rumi and the Qu'ran and teaching her about India's rich culture. In spite of the cultural and political divide, they become friends. He encourages her to sing, dance and play. She feels happy and to her physician's delight, things begin to move (literally).

Second, "Isolation breeds Ignorance." She was "Empress of India, yet ignorant to the people, customs, rich history or politics." Through personal connection, she begins to cross this divide.

Third, I'm reminded of the power of play in my own life. When I was first studying integrative nutrition and health coaching, my coach asked me, "What do you do for fun?"

This question literally made me cry. The only thing I did for myself was to sweat for 90 minutes in a 110-degree room. This gave me discipline, helped me physically, and maybe increased some endorphins, but it wasn't what I call fun! 

This started my quest to find a workout for myself that was fun and good for my heart, mind, body and soul. The result is what I am now teaching at Rise Wellbeing Center on Wednesday mornings @ 7:30 am called Carpe Diem Dance. It's movement to music that allows you to sing, dance and play. We mix in a taste of yoga, dance, breathwork and meditation. Come join me to see what moves in your life.

May you also find personal connection and a fun, joyful, physical, practice in your life.

Carpe Diem,

Lisa

PS. Let me know what movie(s) you recommend watching?

About Lisa Jackson, RN, CHC, RYT-500, AFMC

Lisa is an author, functional nutrition and function medicine trained health coach, yoga teacher, and retired Registered Nurse with the mission to "Inspire, Educate and Empower" individuals to heal from within.

Lisa's book, Savvy Secrets: Eat, Think & Thrive is a self health book offering her Seven Steps to Optimal Health.

When she is not coaching, or speaking, you can find Lisa joyfully sharing Carpe Diem Dance or playing with her two grandchildren. She is the mother of four adult children and believes, "Optimal health should not be a secret."




No comments:

Post a Comment