Sunday, June 24, 2018

Summertime Transformational Read

I just read a transformational book. It's interesting because several patients had recommended this book to me when I was Executive Director of an Integrative Wellness Program for a cancer clinic. They were surprised that I had not read the book, as it is very much in line with my philosophy and each reported that it was transformational for them. I finally took the time to read it. I love real stories by real people.

This is a story of a woman who had a near death experience (NDE) and shares her lessons from it. I will try my best to share my summary and commentary of Dying to be Me, with you.

Anita Moorjani had been treated for four years with stage 4 lymphoma. Bedridden and dependent on others for basic care, she was admitted to a local hospital in a coma. Doctors were preparing the family for her passing when she found herself outside of her body. She describes the same blissful, forgiving state that others with a NDE report.

What was striking to me about the book is the severity of her medical condition, how her recovery defied conventional medicine, and the resultant power of the mind and the spirit. I've been taught (and believe) that we are more than just our physical body. We have an energetic and breath body, a mental/emotional body, an intuitive body and a spiritual body. We are far greater than each of these individual pieces. Yoga is a tool where you can experience and foster unity of these disparate bodies. Many live primarily in the mental body and are therefore blind to their magnificence and power.

Through her NDE, Anita experiences unconditional love and acceptance and discovers the importance of non-judgment, self love and self-care. These can feel like foreign concepts. Rarely in our society is this modeled and taught.  Instead we are taught to believe "The war on cancer" which becomes a war self. We are taught to believe in "no pain, no gain" and to encourage self-sacrifice. We do not teach self love. What I frequently say is,
"Ask not what is wrong with your body. Ask what's right? What
loving message is your body telling you? Could your migraine be saying to take a break and deep breath, hydrate and nourish yourself, or to pop a pill and power through? The more we ignore our signs and symptoms, the louder and more serious they become."
Anita describes her epiphany on why she believes she developed cancer (in her unique case). She was able to heal by having the courage to be herself. This came from recognizing her magnificence and her power to heal. She heard,
"Now that you know the truth about who you really are, go back and live your life fearlessly." 
I firmly believe that our bodies are self loving and self healing. 
Anita states that fear is the cancer. This was the topic of a video interview with myself and Dr. Debbie Norris of The Mindfulness Center several years ago as we were brainstorming on how to best support cancer prevention and recovery. Dr. Norris is offering a workshop on Mind Body for Cancer for both caregivers as well as those with cancer on July 20th-21st. It is free for those with cancer and well worth attending.

Our current medical system can be disempowering and fear promoting. We depend on external measurements to tell us how we are doing. We are not taught to trust our intuition and inner wisdom. We get stuck in the negative thought of "What's wrong with me" and we somehow feel relieved to get a diagnosis, which is merely a label. Your diagnosis or labels have nothing to do with inner healing.

What is refreshing and liberating about Anita's story is proof of the power to heal from within. Anita's doctors could not explain her spontaneous remission with their diagnostic tools.  I've written before about Dr. Kelly Turner's research and book on Radical Remissions and the nine common factors for healing. Three of the powerful interventions involves: taking control of your health, following your intuition, and deepening your spiritual connection.

Believe in the power to heal from within, no matter whether your issue is insomnia, acne, depression, hormonal issues, cardiovascular or autoimmune disease, diabetes, or cancer. Know that you have the power to heal and that it is your job to love yourself unconditionally. Know that there is unconditional love for you (even if this has not been modeled for you).

Stop the guilt, stop the shame, stop beating yourself up for whatever reason. Forgive yourself and others, ditch the urge to judge, and heal.

This is what Anita writes,
"When we're aware of our own magnificence, we don't feel the need to control others, and we won't allow ourselves to be controlled. When I awoke into my infinite self, I was amazed to understand that my life could be dramatically different just by realizing that I am love, and I always have been. I don't have to do anything to deserve it. Understanding this means that I'm working with life-force energy, whereas performing at being loving is working against it. Realizing that I am love was the most important lesson I learned, allowing me to release all fear, and that's the key that saved my life."  
Logo on My Favorite New T-Shirt 
She further writes,
"I now live my life from joy instead of from fear. Before, without even realizing it, everything I did was to avoid pain or to please other people. I was caught up in doing, pursuing, searching, and achieving; and I was the last person I ever took into consideration. My life was driven by fear--of displeasing others, of failing, of being selfish, and of not being good enough. In my own head, I always fell short.
.....I don't worry anymore about trying to get things right or complying with rules or doctrines. I just follow my heart and know that I can't go wrong when I do so. Ironically, I end up pleasing more people than my old self ever did, just because I'm so much happier and more liberated!" 
...The process of allowing happens by first trusting, and then by always being true to who I am." 
My challenge for you for the next week or two is to really contemplate everything that you do for yourself. Do you look at yourself lovingly in the mirror? Is your self talk full of loving affirmations, or judgment and criticism? If the latter, can you delete the need to beat yourself up?

What do you admire about yourself? Are you making loving choices on what you are putting into your body? Or are you afraid of social isolation if you refuse alcohol or eat differently from the SAD standard American diet? Do you allow yourself time to rest, repair or to just be?

Even if you are not in your ideal body, what do you love about yourself?

Sit with that and work on making small incremental steps to change that which you do not love. Our dis-ease can be a loving messenger. Focus on how you want to feel first, then take loving action so you can be the best for self and others.

Last, Anita writes,
"We're all co-creating this world and our lives within it through our emotions, thoughts and actions."
Now THAT's empowering!

Carpe Diem,

With Love,

Lisa

About Lisa Jackson, RN, CHC, RYT-500, AFMC

Lisa is an author, functional nutrition and functional medicine trained health coach, yoga teacher, and retired Registered Nurse with the mission to "Inspire, Educate and Empower" individuals and corporations to achieve optimal health.

Lisa's book, Savvy Secrets: Eat, Think & Thrive is a self-health book offering her Seven Steps to Optimal Health.


When she is not coaching, or speaking, you can find Lisa joyfully sharing Carpe Diem Dance or playing with her two grandchildren. She is the mother of four adult children and believes, "Optimal health should not be a secret."

No comments:

Post a Comment