Sunday, December 3, 2017

Clarity

This morning I sit in clarity.  This is the power of yoga and meditation. Today, I’m preparing for my clients.  I love my client’s; they inspire me to keep doing what I do.  I have some clients with scary diagnoses; a couple of clients with more than ten diagnoses. Successful, well-educated individuals whose “job” now is spent going to doctors.  I have other clients who simply want to lose a few pounds or want support to rediscover lost passions, purpose and direction.

This morning, I’m reviewing complex organic acid and hormone testing. I’m putting together the unique puzzle for my individual clients. I’m looking at urinary bi-products to ascertain missing nutrients, biological markers of toxicity, neurotransmitter insufficiencies, gut dysbiosis, and oxidative stress markers. In doing so, a simple solution emerges. One that is essential for all of us, no matter our goals. Sometimes we can get so caught up in the complexity that we forget the power of simple solutions.



Yes, reviewing testing to find root cause is extremely powerful. It gives us concrete action items to develop a personalized plan towards rebuilding health.  This is the power and essence of functional medicine testing. It enables one to look below the surface signs and symptoms so often simply palliated with medications.


Equally important is to understand what is needed to follow through to execute the plan. To uncover and address the common roadblocks that gets in the way. This is the power and essence of coaching.
What is the medicine that we all need the most? A Mother’s medicine. Your job, no matter the dis-ease, is to unconditionally love yourself. To nourish, nurture and love your God given body. For most, this is a new skill.  If you did not have a stellar role model, you may wish for guidance and support.

It’s true, love heals. A heart in love is physiologically different than a heart filled with worry, pain or fear. Different chemicals are emitted, sending different messages to cells and organs affecting function. Send love to your body every day and the body will heal.  A hug and a teddy bear are as strong as any synthetic medication, without the side effects!

This holiday season, what loving messages can you send to yourself daily? This does not mean to feed addictions or addictive behavior. As your virtual coach, I’d like to challenge you to find new ways to feel good. If sweet sugary substances are your addiction, what else can you give yourself that feels sweet and yummy to you? Is it a walk, holding hands with a loved one? Is it touch? (sometimes needed without the drama or baggage of sexual performance.)

This means cultivating self-compassion. It requires listening to your unique body. It means consciously choosing gratitude over fear and the automatic negative beliefs that pop up in your head. Maybe it’s sitting in silence with a pet on your lap. Or perhaps writing a heartfelt, overdue letter to an estranged family member or friend. What can you do to heal and nourish your soul as well as your body?

For me it’s a daily yoga practice; sometimes practiced alone, sometimes in a class. My practice includes breath work, physical movement to music, and meditation. This keeps me grounded and in my body.  It allows time and space to feel areas of my body that are stuck. It clears my mind and makes me appreciate the simple solutions.

Carpe Diem and Happy Holidays. I am eternally grateful to you.

Lisa


About Lisa

Lisa is a retired Registered Nurse, yoga teacher, author, inspirational speaker, and a functional medicine coach with a mission to inspire others to feel and look their best at any age.

Lisa's book Savvy Secrets: Eat, Think and Thrive outlines her seven-step system towards optimal health that is fun and transformational.

Lisa is part of the New Self Health Movement and the Wellness Inspired Network. When she is not coaching, speaking or writing, you can find her practicing yoga and joyfully sharing Carpe Diem Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment